The Haitian Lawyers Association (“HLA”) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing financial assistance to Haitian-American law students and law students interested in activities of importance to the Haitian-American community. Since its inception, HLA has provided scholarships for deserving law students in accredited law schools and has honored the memory of distinguished lawyers and judges by awarding scholarships in their memory.
Financial assistance is based on academic performance, leadership potential, and participation in community programs including, but not limited to, volunteer hours. Scholarships are awarded annually, provided funds are available.
HLA awards scholarships on the basis of a comprehensive process. Areas that are reviewed by the committee include, but are not limited to, the following: Academic Accomplishments, Community Service, References, Personal Essay and Financial Need. HLA pays scholarship funds directly to the recipient. Scholarships are awarded annually. Scholarships are awarded without regard to race, color, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. Scholarships awarded are based upon the availability of funds and additional qualifying criteria.
• Applicant must be a law student of Haitian heritage who has distinguished himself/herself academically and/or in service-oriented activities; OR any law student who has distinguished himself/herself in research, writing, community services, and/or other activities of importance to the Haitian-American
• Applicant must be a currently enrolled student in good academic standing at an accredited Florida law
• Applicant must submit a complete formal application for a HLA Scholarship;
• Applicants must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States; and
• Applicants must complete and submit a typed Scholarship Application and provide all supporting
documents listed below (i.e., resume, evidence of enrollment, etc.) no later than March 15, 2022.
• Applications and supporting documentation are due no later than March 15, 2022.
• Candidates may be asked for an interview by the Scholarship Committee.
• Applicants are notified if awarded a scholarship by March 31, 2022.
APPLICATION PROCESS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE:
• A typed Scholarship Application (If any question does not apply to you in this application, please put
N/A in the space);
• A competitive essay (no more than 1,000 words) focusing on, and describing in detail, the activities and
achievements that qualify him/her for the award, as well as a statement of financial need;
• An updated resume;
• A copy of his/her transcripts
• Candidates will be notified by phone or email in March regarding the status of your application;
• Awards will be made out and given directly to the recipient;
• Awards will be given at the Annual Scholarship Awards Reception; TBA
• Applicant must provide their correct mailing address, if unable to attend the reception;
• Award amounts will be distributed annually after all requirements are met;
EMAIL COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO:
• Geralda David, Esq.
• email@example.com AND dbagasala@DavidLawOffice.com
• Subject: 2021-2022 HLA Scholarship Application – [Applicant Name]
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact
Geralda David, Esq., by email at dbagasala@DavidLawOffice.com